Chanhassen Dinner Theater, chanhassendt.com, 952-934-1525, 501 West 78th St., Chanhassen
- Footloose, Feb. 4–Sept. 24: Ren and his mother move from Chicago to a small farming town where they are met with a ban on dancing instated by the local preacher, who is determined to control the town’s youth. Enjoy the beloved classic and dinner at Chanhassen Theater.
Guthrie Theater, guthrietheater.org, 612-377-2224, 818 2nd St. S, Minneapolis
Emma by Kate Hamill, based on the novel by Jane Austen, directed by Meredith McDonough, June 18 – August 21, 2022, Wurtele Thrust Stage: Emma Woodhouse prides herself on being a matchmaker with an “impeccable” track records, much to the distaste of her friend Mr. Knightley, that is until she takes the case of Harriet Smith. Based on the novel by Jane Austen, this interpretation of the beloved novel is a playful twist on a classic.
Sweat by Lynn Nottage, directed by Tamilla Woodward, July 16 – August 21, 2022, McGuire Proscenium Stage: SWEAT boldly confronts issues of race, immigration, and deindustrialization in this Pulitzer Prize-winning drama by Lynn Nottage. Set in Reading, Pennsylvania, a blue-collar town, factory workers grapple with the changing post-Y2K economy and the fracturing of friendships as the factory breaks with the union.
Jungle Theater, jungletheater.org, 612.822.7063, 2951 Lyndale Ave S Minneapolis
Cambodian Rock Band, June 8 – July 31, 2022, co-production with Theater Mu, written by Lauren Yee, direction by Lili Tung Crystal: A Khmer Rouge survivor returns to Cambodia for the first time in 30 years as his daughter prepares to prosecute one of the country’s most infamous war criminals. Backed by a live band of actor-musicians, Cambodian Rock Theater is the story of father and daughter facing music of the past.
Lyric Arts, lyricarts.org, 763-422-1838, 420 E Main St., Anoka
Something Rotten! July 15- Aug.14, 2022: It’s 1590 and the Bottom Brothers, two playwrights, are being beaten out of business by the infamous William Shakespeare. After visiting a soothsayer, the brothers learn that the future of theater involves singing, dancing, and acting – all at the same time! To compete with their rival, the Bottom Brothers set out to write the world’s very first musical. Sure to make you laugh until you cry, don’t miss out on this spectacular performance.
Old Log Theater, oldlog.com, 952-474-5951, 5185 Meadville St., Greenwood
- Escape To Margaritaville, April 1- August 27: A heartwarming musical-comedy featuring original songs and beloved Jimmy Buffet classics, come get away from it all and “Escape to Margaritaville”.
Orpheum Theatre, hennepintheatretrust.org, 612-373-5671, 910 Hennepin Ave., Minneapolis
- Ain’t Too Proud — The Life and Times of The Temptations, June 28 – July 10: This new Broadway hit musical follows the Temptations’ journey through the streets of Detroit to stardom. A thrilling story of brotherhood, family, loyalty and betrayal during a decade of civil unrest in America.
Wicked, presented by Hennepin Theatre Trust, July 27 – August 28: What happened before Dorothy landed in Oz? The hit Broadway sensation, Wicked is the untold true story of the Witches of Oz.
Stages Theatre Company, stagestheatre.org, 952-979-1111, 1111 Mainstreet, Hopkins
- Disney’s The Little Mermaid, Jr., June 24 – Aug. 7: A kid-friendly take on the Disney classic.
Theater Latté Da, latteda.org, 612-339-3003, 345 13th Ave. NE, Minneapolis
- Twelve Angry Men: A New Musical, June 8–July 17: Theater Latte Da presents the world premiere of this new American musical adapted from one of America’s Greatest dramas. In a small New York City jury room, twelve men debate the fate of a young defendant charged with murdering his father.
Yellow Tree Theatre, yellowtreetheatre.com, 763-493-8733, 320 5th Ave. SE, Osseo
- In the Next Room, or the Vibrator Play, June 2-26