SIGMA has just announced the SIGMA 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens, the world’s first 14mm f/1.4 lens designed specifically for astrophotography. This ultra wide-angle prime lens is compatible with mirrorless camera systems, available in Sony E-mount and Leica L-Mount.
The lens is equipped with various features tailored for astrophotography, including a removable tripod socket, MFL switch for manual focus lock, lens heater retainer, rear filter holder, and a specially-designed front cap with a new locking mechanism and filter storage slots. It offers excellent aberration correction and delivers exceptional image quality, making it potentially the best lens for astrophotography. Its 14mm focal length and F1.4 aperture capture vast starry skies and reduces exposure time. The lens is also durable with a splash and dust-resistant construction, maintaining the high performance and quality standards of the SIGMA F1.4 Art lens lineup.
Beyond astrophotography, this 14mm f/1.4 lens is also suitable for high-end architecture, real estate and landscape photography, thanks to its outstanding optical performance and specialized features.
SIGMA 14mm F1.4 DG DN
New vision. Expanding possibilities
- Ultra wide-angle 14mm with a maximum aperture of F1.4 and outstanding optical performance
- Abundant functions and accessories to support starscape photography
- Signature Art line features and high build quality
Supplied accessories: Case, COVER LENS CAP LC1014-01, REAR CAP LCR II, TRIPOD SOCKET TS-141, PROTECTIVE COVER PT-41, GUIDE PLATE GP-11
Available mounts: L-Mount, Sony E-mount
The world’s first and only* lens that combines an ultrawide angle of 14mm with a maximum aperture of F1.4.
Introducing the world’s first and only lens that combines an ultrawide angle of 14mm with a maximum aperture of F1.4, designed specifically for stunning starscape photography. Capturing the beauty of the starry sky is a challenging task for wide-angle lenses, given the multitude of tiny light sources scattered throughout the image. The 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens is the result of our engineers’ passion for achieving the widest, brightest, highest-resolution, and most captivating starscape images imaginable. Leveraging SIGMA’s cutting-edge technology, this lens offers an ultrawide 14mm angle of view paired with an impressive F1.4 aperture. It boasts high optical performance with thorough correction of sagittal coma flare, specialized functions to enhance starry landscape photography, and fast autofocus powered by the HLA linear motor.
With the 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens, you can turn the Milky Way stretching across the night sky and twinkling stars above ridgelines into breathtaking images that surpass the experience. Its exceptional performance in capturing starscapes opens up new possibilities for visual expression and enjoyment across various scenes, including daytime landscapes, architecture, and indoor photography in dark and confined spaces.
* Excluding fisheye lenses, as interchangeable lenses for mirrorless cameras and SLR cameras (as of June, 2023 by SIGMA).
Ultra wide-angle 14mm with a maximum aperture of F1.4 and outstanding optical performance
Applying the best of SIGMA’s optical technologies made this world-first performance possible, from the design to the lens manufacturing process. In addition, 19 elements in 15 groups, including 1 SLD glass element, 3 FLD glass elements, and 4 aspherical lens elements, make up a luxurious lens configuration. This allows for advanced aberration correction and a high degree of precision in the lens construction. This allows both advanced aberration correction and F1.4 brightness. In particular, sagittal coma flare, which distorts the shape of stars, has been carefully corrected. Even at the widest aperture, the lens delivers high image reproducibility right to the periphery of the image.
Both optical design and coatings also thoroughly address ghosting and flare. This allows for clear, crisp shooting of starry sky and night scenes. Optimized for starscapes, which require extremely high performance, this lens delivers images that exceed expectations in any scene, including landscapes, architecture snapshots, portraits, and indoor photography.
Abundant functions and accessories to support starscape photography
The 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art is equipped with a wealth of features that support starscape photography. This fully backs up the fun of starscape photography.
Includes a detachable tripod mount compatible with Arca-Swiss type. Mounting the 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art lens on a tripod makes it more stable, as it is heavier on the front side. The shape is designed to prevent interference even when using the lens heater.
- MFL (Manual Focus Lock) Switch
A switch to lock the manual focus at a desired position. Prevents focus shift caused by unintentional operation of the focus ring. This is useful for fixed focus shooting scenarios, such as long exposure photography.
Steps around the front and lens heater retainers prevent the lens heater* from protruding into the front of the lens and causing vignetting on the periphery of the screen.
* A belt-shaped heater wrapped around the lens prevents condensation from forming inside the lens when the temperature drops.
A rear filter holder is provided as standard equipment at the lens mount for attaching a sheet-type rear filter. A lock mechanism is also provided to prevent the filter from falling out.
- Special front cap with locking mechanism and filter slots
Includes a cover-type front cap with locking mechanism. It also has a newly developed filter slot that can hold two rear filters depending on the application. The cap is specially designed for the 14mm F1.4 DG DN | Art to protect the sheet filters from scratches and dirt while ensuring that they are not mistakenly taken out or forgotten.
Signature Art line features and high build quality
In addition to functions specifically designed for shooting starscapes, the lens is equipped with various functions to assist in shooting, including an AFL button to which any function can be assigned and an aperture ring. The body is dust and splash resistant. The frontmost surface of the lens has a water- and stain-repellent coating, so you can shoot outdoors in harsh environments with peace of mind. The HLA (High-response Linear Actuator) enables high-speed, quiet, and highly accurate autofocusing.
In order to maintain performance while supporting a lens with a large aperture, the lens has a robust internal structure and uses lightweight materials such as polycarbonate TSC (Thermally Stable Composite), which has a thermal shrinkage rate equivalent to that of aluminum, and magnesium in appropriate locations to reduce weight while ensuring robustness. The lens body is built with the high build quality of the Art line specifications, allowing the user to fully enjoy the unique performance of the lens in any environment, including shooting starscapes.
- Lens construction: 19 elements in 15 groups (3 FLD, 1 SLD, and 4 aspherical elements)
- Inner focus system
- Compatible with high-speed autofocus
- HLA (High-response Linear Actuator)
- Compatible with Lens Aberration Correction
- Function available on supported cameras only. Available corrections and auto correction functionality may vary depending on the camera model.
- On cameras where lens aberration correction is controlled with ‘ON’ or ‘OFF’ in the camera menu, please set all aberration correction functions to ‘ON’ (AUTO).
- Supports DMF and AF+MF
- Compatible with AF assist (Sony E-mount only)
- Super Multi-Layer Coating
- Water and Oil Repellent Coating (front element)
- Aperture ring
- Aperture ring click switch
- Aperture ring lock switch
- AFL button
- MFL switch
- Rear Filter Holder (compatible with GUIDE PLATE GP-11)
- Lens Heater Retainer
- Focus Mode Switch
- Support for switching between linear and nonlinear focus ring settings (for L-Mount only)
- Dust and Splash Resistant Structure
- TRIPOD SOCKET TS-141 supplied
- Special front cap with locking mechanism and filter slot: COVER LENS CAP LC1014-01 (NEW)
- Compatible with SIGMA USB DOCK UD-11 (sold separately / for L-Mount only)
- Designed to minimize flare and ghosting
- Every single lens undergoes SIGMA’s proprietary MTF measuring system
- 11-blade rounded diaphragm
- High-precision, durable brass bayonet mount
- “Made in Japan” craftsmanship
The figures below are for the L-Mount version:
Lens Construction: 19 elements in 15 groups (3 FLD, 1 SLD, 4 aspherical)
Angle of view: 114.2°
Number of diaphragm blades: 11 (rounded diaphragm)
Minimum aperture: F16
Minimum focusing distance: 30cm / 11.9 in.
Maximum magnification ratio: 1:11.9
Filter size: Rear filter only
Dimensions (Max. Diam. x Length): 101.4 x 149.9mm / 4.0 x 5.9 in.
Weight: 1170g / 41.3 oz.
For more information, visit Sigma.